The OWL System Administrator is responsible for managing the OWL Test Management System within the user's organization. There is typically one (or as few as possible) System Administrator(s) for a given domain. The System Administrator role includes the following functions and capabilities:
There are several ways to add new user accounts to your OWL domain.
This page describes them in detail: Creating Users Help Page
To manually add a new user to your domain:
1) Select Users from the Admin Menu
2) Click the Create Button
3) Complete the required Fields in the setup window, and click Save.
Once an activity has been launched (i.e, a test session has started) everything that comprises that activity will be locked by the system.Test items cannot be changed by you, or any other user, while testing is in progress.
This ensures testing integrity by presenting all students on a given assignment with an identical activity.
You will see a locked icon (dark blue, closed padlock) on the appropriate list pages.
To change a locked element, copy the original item and make the desired revisions to the copied version.
1. Go to the appropriate OWL list page
2. Select the target item with the checkbox
3. Click the Copy button
4. A new version of the same item will appear in the list page.
Please note: Please be patient when you are copying large instances (for example a Test with many items).
It may take a few moments for the OWL TMS to copy all the underlying elements.
OWL protects your work by not allowing you to delete and element that is being used in another event. For example, you cannot delete an Item that is being referenced by a Test. Likewise you cannot delete Tests that are being referenced by an Assignment.
The order of deletion is:
1. Delete the Assignment (if applicable)
2. Delete the Test (if applicable)
3. Delete the Section (if applicable)
4. Delete the Items
Alternately, you can:
1. Remove the Section from the Test,
or Remove the Items from the Section
2. Then delete the unwanted elements
Yes, but... ONLY IF YOU MAKE A COPY of the Item
NEVER, put the same Item (i.e., same OWL Tracking #) on a Test twice
This is also true of Sections
1. Keywords can be used like tags for sorting and grouping your content in the OWL.
2. Keywords can also be used to engage certain other OWL features that have not yet been incorporated into the user interface.
Feature (go to Help Page)
Between System Administrators
OWL System Administrators have complete access to view and edit ALL content.
To avoid conflicts, NO two system administrators should open/edit the same instance at the same time.
To share content with instructors/content creators, use the OWL Sharing feature.
Sharing should be closely managed by the System Administrator.
1. Go to the Assessment Menu
2. Select Admin >> Assessment Monitor
What is the order of events on an Oral Response test?
(Items per page = "1", Autoplay Media = "Yes")
1. Section User Language Audio prompt plays
2. Section Target Language Audio prompt plays
3. Item User Language Audio prompt plays
4. Item Target Language Audio prompt plays
5. Think Timer counts down
6. Beep sounds
7. Recorder starts automatically
(unless the examinee has started recording during step 5)
8. Response Timer counts down
9. Examinee is automatically be moved to the next item
(unless they click the Next button before response time expires in step 8)
There are 2 ways to export/save examinee response audio files from the OWL Test Management System
1. Directly from the Rater Module
2. Create an Examinee Portfolio
Files must be properly formatted.
Security settings in the browser may prevent the file from downloading directly.
1. Do they have a valid email address in the OWL TMS?
2. Are you an OWL Hosted customer?
If you are using a site license, or single login with LDAP or ADFS this password reset procedure will not apply
3. Are they using the correct url?
The url given on this website for password resets may not be the same as your specific site.
To create a password reset link for your specific site, append the url you use for login with "/Account/Password/Forgot"