The OWL Test Builder is one convenient place to perform many tasks. Test and Section properties.
Learn how to build each type of item/question. Details about properties, scoring and layout.
1. Go to the properties control on the Section.
2. At the bottom left of the properties editor, select the item type
3. Select how many you wish to build
4. Click New, then click Okay
5. Item building templates will be added to your Test/Section
1. Open the Properties Editor at the Test Level
2. Select Require Answers (Override) = "Yes"
Once an activity has been launched (i.e, a test session has started) everything that comprises that activity will be locked by the system.
Test items cannot be changed by you, or any other user, while testing is in progress.
This ensures testing integrity by presenting all students on a given assignment with an identical activity.
You will see a locked icon (dark blue, closed padlock) in the appropriate list pages.
To change a locked element, copy the original item and make the desired revisions to the copied version.
What is the order of events on an Oral Response test?
(Items per page = "1", Autoplay Media = "Yes")
1. Section User Language Audio prompt plays
2. Section Target Language Audio prompt plays
3. Item User Language Audio prompt plays
4. Item Target Language Audio prompt plays
5. Think Timer counts down
6. Beep sounds
7. Recorder starts automatically
(unless the examinee has started recording during step 5)
8. Response Timer counts down
9. Examinee is automatically be moved to the next item
(unless they click the Next button before response time expires in step 8)
OWL protects your work by not allowing you to delete and element that is being used in another event. For example, you cannot delete an Item that is being referenced by a Test. Likewise you cannot delete Tests that are being referenced by an Assignment.
The order of deletion is:
1. Delete the Assignment (if applicable)
2. Delete the Test (if applicable)
3. Delete the Section (if applicable)
4. Delete the Items
Alternately, you can:
1. Remove the Section from the Test,
or Remove the Items from the Section
2. Then delete the unwanted elements
Yes, but... ONLY IF YOU MAKE A COPY of the Item
NEVER, put the same Item (i.e., same OWL Tracking #) on a Test twice
This is also true of Sections
1. Keywords can be used like tags for sorting and grouping your content in the OWL.
2. Keywords can also be used to engage certain other OWL features that have not yet been incorporated into the user interface.
What are OWL Keywords? Help Page
1. Go to the appropriate OWL list page
2. Select the target item with the checkbox
3. Click the Copy button
4. A new version of the same item will appear in the list page.
Please note: Please be patient when you are copying large instances (for example a Test with many items).
It may take a few moments for the OWL TMS to copy all the underlying elements.
Content sharing is controlled by the System Administrator.
Please contact the person(s) responsible for your OWL domain.
When copying and pasting from another program you must PASTE AS PLAIN TEXT. There are a few ways to accomplish this:
1) using Ctrl Shift V, or
2) Right Click >> Paste As Plain Text
3) First paste your text into Wordpad to strip out the formatting, then copy and paste the text only into the OWL Editor.